Saturday, May 2, 2009

Quixotic?

Let's take a look at this. Quixotic: 1: foolishly impractical especially in the pursuit of ideals ; especially : marked by rash lofty romantic ideas or extravagantly chivalrous action.

This comment came up a few days ago, although it had been floating around in my mind for a while beforehand. I guess in terms of my art, I hope to effect people. That is not to say that I assume that I will be able to. I just don't feel like it's worth making art unless you strive for this. I know I've certainly felt changed from others' art.

When I think of other issues such as overpopulation & our growing consumerism, I can still fall into the category of being 'naively' optimistic. Because there are things that are beyond our ability to anticipate, I don't see why the rational choice is often to accept and (sometimes) give up on working towards a change in our current situation.

All this said, this state of optimism works for me. I'm just recently discovering this after a year of intense analytic endeavors into myself. By remaining naive in some ways, I can constantly take in new information. Any pessimism can just be acknowledged and filtered out so that I can pursue the path to fixing what I can on my minuscule level.


No comments:

Post a Comment